Dr. Alice L. Kassens
John S. Shannon Professor of Economics
Dir Center Economic Freedom
Department: Business Admin. & Economics
Office: 234 Francis T. West Hall
- Ph.D. North Carolina State University, 2005 (Economics)
- B.A. The College of William and Mary, 1998 (Economics, History)
Research & Teaching Interests
Health Economics, Labor Economics, Econometrics, Data Visualization
- Intemperate Spirits: Economic Adaptation to Prohibition, (2019). Switzerland: Springer Nature
- Changing Perceptions and Waistlines: A Bayesian and Behavioral Approach, (2007). Saarbrucken: VDM Publishing House.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- "Theory vs. Practice: Teaching Undergraduate Econometrics," Journal of Economic Education, 2019, Volume 50, Issue 3.
- "Chasing Economic Knowledge: Using Economics Based Scavenger Hunts to Create Camaraderie," Journal of Economics and Economic Education Review, 2018, Volume 19, Issue 4 (with Dr. Michael Enz, Roanoke College)
- "Women's Asset Ownership and Children's Nutritional Status: Evidence from Papua New Guinea," Journal of Social Science and Medicine, 2018, Volume 204, Issue C, pg. 100-107 (with Yana van der Meulen Rodgers, Rutgers University).
- "Gangsters, Scoundrels, and Thieves: Teaching Economics Using Nefarious Historical Characters," Journal of Economic and Finance Education, 2016, Volume 15, Number 3, pg. 6-9.
- "Using Twitter to Improve Student Writing," (2016), Journal of Economic and Financial Education, Volume 15, 72-77. (with Michael Enz).
- "Tweeting your way to improved #writing, #reflection, and #community," (2014), Journal of Economic Education, Volume 45, 101-109.
- "Do as I say and as I do: An Adaptation of McElroy's Mentor Demonstration Model," (2012), Perspectives in Undergraduate Research and Mentoring, 2.1 (with Sara Caudle, Tyler Rinko, and Justin Tuma).
- "The Wilford Brimley Effect: Diet and Exercise Take on Medicare, Moral Hazard, and the Oatmeal Guy in the Fight Against Type II Diabetes," (2007), Virginia Economic Journal, Volume 13, 17-31.
- "Predicting Gen Y's Performance in Principles of Economics Courses," (2007) (with Dr. Garry Fleming), Virginia Economic Journal, Volume 12, 1-22.
Edited Volumes/Book Chapters
- "Spatial Spillover Effects: Domestic Violence in Nepal" with Yana van der Meulen Rodgers (Rutgers University) in Rural-Urban Dichotomies and Spatial Development in Asia, forthcoming 2021 (Springer).
- "Economic Journeys in Alaska" in Off-Campus Study, Study Abroad, and Study Away in Economics, edited by Kim Holder and Joshua Hall (Spring Nature), forthcoming 2021.
- "Health Insurance" in Inequality in America: Causes and Consequences of the Rich-Poor Divide (2021), edited by Robert S. Rycroft and Kimberley L. Kinsley, pp. 277-283.
- "Taking a Path Less Travelled: Mastering `Metrics without a Textbook," in Teaching Economics: Perspectives on Innovative Economics Education (2019), edited by Joshua Hall and Kerianne Lawson, pp. 137-153.
- "Health and Distance to Health Care in Papua New Guinea" in Disease, Human Health, and Regional Economic Growth and Development in Asia, edited by Peter Nijkamp, Yoshiro Higano, and Amitrajeet Batabyal, pp 203-229.
- “Exploring Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics: Visualizing Trade Data” in Visualizing Data with SAS: Selected Topics (2017). Cary: SAS Press
- “The Potential Economic Costs of the Affordable Healthcare Act” in The American Middle Class: An Economic Encyclopedia of Progress and Poverty (2017), edited by Robert Rycroft. Westport: Greenwood Publishers.
- Mental Health Crisis During the COVID-19 Pandemic. (May 11, 2021). New York, NY: The Century Foundation https://tcf.org/content/report/mental-health-crisis-covid-19-pandemic/
- "The clever fake rabbis who made millions off of Prohibition," The Jewish Telegraphic Agency, August 27, 2019.
- "Optimizing nursing skills for better veteran care," Washington Times, March 8, 2016.
Published Supplemental Materials
- PowerPoint Presentations to accompany Stevenson and Wolfers (2020), Principles of Economics, 1st edition, New York: McMillan
- PowerPoint Presentations to accompany Rudiger Dornbusch, Stanley Fischer, and Richard Startz (2018), Macroeconomics, 13th edition, Chicago: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- PowerPoint Presentations to accompany Rudiger Dornbusch, Stanley Fischer, and Richard Startz (2013), Macroeconomics, 12th edition, Chicago: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- PowerPoint Presentations to accompany Rudiger Dornbusch, Stanley Fischer, and Richard Startz (2011), Macroeconomics, 11th edition, Chicago: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- PowerPoint presentations to accompany Rudiger Dornbusch, Stanley Fischer, and Richard Startz (2007), Macroeconomics, 10th edition, Chicago: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Test bank to accompany Douglas Bernheim and Michael D. Whinston (2009), Microeconomics 1e, Chicago: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
Unpublished Work, Working Papers, and Papers Under Review
- "Promoting Evidence Based Policy Making for Gender Equality in Papua New Guinea," (2015), Asian Development Bank funded internal report with Yana VanderMeulen Rodgers.
- "Promoting Evidence Based Policy Making for Gender Equality in Papua New Guinea: Policy Brief," with Yana VanderMeulen Rodgers.
- "Determinants of Student Satisfaction," unpublished work
- "The Effect of Clinical Depression on Labor Market Outcomes of Young Adults," with William M. Rodgers, working paper.
Willing to speak to professional, social or civic groups on
Labor market, unemployment, obesity, health care, health care reform, health and economic development, discrimination, clinical depression and labor market outcomes, consumer sentiment, data visualization, spatial analysis